Dogs, like humans, have whims and fancies of their own. Some small dogs are a little too clever, while other big ones are quiet and corner-driven.
For most pet parents, providing appropriate walking training, regardless of their personality, may seem like an ordeal. If you're looking for a convenient approach to training your dog, a martingale collar is an excellent option!
A martingale collar is also known as a No-Slip or Limited Slip collar. This collar prevents dogs from choking while keeping them on a leash. This method works for both - dogs who pull on the leash or try to break out of their collars.
How does the martingale collar help?
When dogs are enthusiastic or scared, they tend to slip back or out of their collars, putting their safety at risk. This is a common occurrence in dog breeds with a head that is narrower than the neck.
Martingale dog collars can help you by -
- providing control over your dog and helping you keep them on the leash safely without suffocating them.
- Unlike choke chains, you can modify and manage the fit around your pet's neck using these collars.
- Martingale collars help you tighten when force is applied, thus ensuring that your dog does not slide out and remains safe.
What is the difference between a Martingale and Chain Collar?
A martingale collar is a more humane and safer option than a metal chain collar. The modern martingale collar has also replaced the previously much-used choke chain.
- Unlike the brutal metal choke collars, which can tighten around your dog's neck to the point of discomfort, martingale collars can only tighten enough to keep your pet from slipping out.
- They're also mostly fashioned of fabric, which means that even as the collar tightens, it won't dig into your dog's neck with enough force to damage him.
- Using a martingale collar to ensure a perfect fit can keep your dog secure while also allowing the collar to tighten past the size of your dog's neck, resulting in a more comfortable wearing experience.
Which dogs should use a martingale collar?
Martingale collars have been popular among dog owners of all breeds since their inception. While the martingale collar isn't a replacement for a conventional flat collar, it may benefit your dog in the following circumstances –
- If your dog enjoys racing about and escaping, this collar will come in handy.
- Alternatively, if your dog is fearful and corner-driven, a martingale collar will give you extra confidence, particularly in new surroundings. The collar's unique design that prevents choking.
- If your pet is a newbie, they may be excited and fearful of exploring new surroundings. A martingale collar with a leash will aid him in becoming accustomed to his surroundings and preventing unintentional runaway problems in such instances.
- Lastly, if you want to train your dog, a martingale collar is a safer and more humane option. It will tighten only to the extent of comfort, signaling the dog more appropriate behaviour.
How to use the martingale dog collar?
A martingale collar should fit comfortably around your dog's neck.
Determining the appropriate size of the martingale for your dog can be done in one of the two ways -
If your dogs head is larger than his neck
- add 2 inches to the measurement of the largest part of his head (1 inch if your dog is small).
- According to the manufacturer, use that measurement to determine the size range of a slip-on collar to purchase. If in doubt, go for the bigger size.
If your dogs neck is larger than his head
- Measure the circumference of your dogs neck in the middle
- To decide which size range collar you should purchase, use that measurement and add 2 inches (1 inch if your dog is small).
Here is a video guide on how to put the martingale collar and how it's going to be a new go-to use for you and your pet’s walk!
Things to be careful about when using the martingale collar
- A martingale collar isn't recommended for everyday use, especially if your dog is leashed, because the little loop can get trapped on things.
- When used correctly, martingale collars can be a valuable tool for keeping your dog safe and well-behaved.
Thus, knowing when and how much to trod on such supplementary equipment is essential.
We at Forfurs strive to keep your pet’s safety and needs a priority. With that aim, we have a range of comfortable yet stylish martingale collars for your pet. Head onto our website to make your purchase right away!